A slipped disc is a condition of damage to an intervertebral disc that sits between each of the bones in your spine. With the damage of the disc, the inner soft gel-like pad of the disc that forms the cushion squeezes out through a torn out layer and cause a bulge that presses on the attached spinal nerves. This causes a severe pain that travels down the leg and arise a condition of sciatica. This condition of the slipped disc is also referred to as disc herniation. Of which the two most popular type of herniation are lumbar disc herniation and the cervical disc herniation.
Classification of Slipped Disc:
The slipped disc is divided into different form that include-
- Bulging Disc: In this there is bulging of the disc with the fibrous ring being intact.
- Slipped Disc: In this the disc tissues are squeezed out through the fibrous ring.
- Separated Slipped Disc: In this there is a breakthrough of the disc tissues through the longitudinal ligament and the fibrous ring entering the spinal canal.
- The Release of the Fragment: In this the entry of the tissues in the spinal canal is accompanied by the fragments of the disc tissues.
Symptoms of slipped disc:
The slipped disc has some common symptoms that are as follows-
- Back pain
- Stiffness or paralysis in legs and feet
- Lower back pain for slipped disc in lumbar spine
- Neck pain for slipped disc in cervical spine
- Numbness and pain in arms and legs
Why choose us?
At Physiosolution our physiotherapy treatment is mainly aimed at positioning the exact area of the pain and the place where slip disc has occurred so as to relieve the pain that is caused by the slipped disc. The physiotherapists here teach some particular type of medication to prevent the inflammation and avoid straining of a muscle or rupture of a disc. Our physiotherapists wholeheartedly serve their duty to teach certain rehabilitative exercises for reducing the pain and employ a fast recovering process.
Aims of our Slip Disc Physiotherapy:
The physiotherapy is aimed towards –
- Restoration of the cushioning gel back in the nucleus of the disc
- Relieve the stress and pain
- A long-term prevention of repeated disc injury
- Prevention and reduction of the inflammation
The main therapeutic methods we employ at Physiosolution:
- Exercises related to movement of joints and spinal movements: This involves various exercises that involve the gentle movement of the joints and certain specific exercises that reduce the stiffness of spinal joints.
- Muscle Stretching: This involves various exercises that are designed to extend the flexibility of the muscles and it involves regular massage that helps in relieving the stress.
- Corrective Methods: This involves the training of proper lifting methods and proper bending methods.
- Thermal modalities- This involves the use of heat and thermal currents to relax the stress of the muscles and reduce their stiffness. It involves the application of ice packs and heat pads. With this, a hot water bath is also a common technique.
- Neural Mobilization- These are specially designed exercises and techniques to extend the neural movements. This involves the use of various supporting devices and gentle movements of the various specific joints so as to employ proper functioning of the nerves.